Whether you’ve left it until the last minute or planned for it, buying gifts for girlfriends can be a tricky business. For someone you know so well, it can seem impossible to know exactly what your girlfriend would actually want. If you’re stumped for ideas, we’re here to help with nine jumping off points.
Gifts for Girlfriends Can be a Tricky Prospect
Buying gifts for girlfriends can be so tricky. After all, you’re going to want to impress them. You want to make them happy, and your gift should reflect that. The problem is, when the pressure’s so high, it can end up making you even more confused.
What types of gifts are appropriate?
The first thing you’ll want to do when buying gifts to girlfriends is avoid anything too risky. Even if you’ve been dating for a long time, buying a gift that’s too extreme is generally a no-no. Go for things you already know your girlfriend likes: items with a more personal significance or something she wouldn’t typically buy herself.
Practical or totally romantic?
It’s a cliché that the longer you’re in a relationship, the more practical the gifts become. But for the most part, gifts for girlfriends should always have some practical element.
We’re not suggesting a drain unblocker or a spark plug, but if you buy something your girlfriend uses every day, then that’s a huge success. Plus, the gift then acts as an ongoing reminder of your loving relationship.
Where to shop for perfect gifts
Deciding where to shop for gifts for girlfriends really depends on whether or not you know what you’re looking for. If you know you want to buy perfume or makeup, for example, going to a department store and asking the sales team for advice can be helpful.
If you’re stumped, an independent boutique or gift shop will usually offer some inspiration. However, we’ve selected products from Amazon. This is because it’s always convenient, the products are universally accessible, and the range of products is super-extensive.
Price range - Setting your Budget
For this guide of gifts for girlfriends, we have kept the budget fairly low. Not only did we want to guide to be inclusive of everyone, but we firmly believe that you don’t need to spend big to get successful gifts for girlfriends. We’ve tried to cover a variety of different price points to suit anyone.
How We Reviewed
The products we selected were chosen because of their promising ratings and reviews on Amazon. We selected gifts we thought perfectly toed the line of practical and romantic, and which offered good value for money. These are gifts for girlfriends which we hope anyone would be happy to receive.
Our Selection of the Best Gifts for Girlfriends
We’ve selected nine items which would make great gifts for girlfriends. While our list can be a little generic, many of these items can be slightly personalized to better reflect your relationship and suit your girlfriend’s personality. We aim to bring you inspiration for purchasing gifts for girlfriends, plus help you with finding good-quality, positively-rated products.
It’s a classic when it comes to gifts for girlfriends – and with good reason. Perfume is something the vast majority of women use every day. So no matter what, she'll gratefully receive a new bottle. Just be careful not to pick a scent that's too distinctive, in case your girlfriend doesn’t like it.
Perfume is a universally accepted “good gift.” It’s something pleasant and useful, and will pretty much always be well received.
There are a couple of drawbacks, though. For one, perfume isn’t the most imaginative or personal gift – unless you manage to find out which perfume she’s currently lusting after. Scent can be a little tricky, too. So if you don’t have a specific fragrance in mind, be sure to pick a safe option. Perfume can also be a little bit pricier than some other items we will mention.
A perfume that is basically impossible to dislike is Daisy by Marc Jacobs. It’s sweet but never sickly and works well for both day and night. The bottle is super-cute, too. Daisy is available on Amazon for between $50 and $60. The product is rated 4.3 out of 5 stars based on over 1,600 reviews.
- Barista grade: Espresso Inissia by De'Longhi offers an impeccable single-serve coffee or Espresso cup every time, thanks to its automatic operation and Patented extraction system which delivers up to 19 bars of pressure. The Inissia is the perfect Coffee machine that Fits perfectly into any interior design.
- Speed: in just one touch, Ideal water temperature is reached in 25 seconds and you are ready to make 9 single-serve cups of Coffee without having to refill the 24 oz. tank. This automatic Coffee machine gets your perfect cup of Coffee or Espresso to you fast.
- Versatile and smart Coffee machine: adjustable cup size with 2 programmable Espresso and Lungo buttons. A folding drip tray accommodates larger single-serve cup sizes and recipes. Rated voltage/Frequency (V~Hz) : 110-120 V / 50-60 Hz
- Energy efficient Coffee machine: brew 2 different cup sizes; Espresso (1. 35 oz. ) and Lungo (5 oz. ), with just the touch of a button. Pour over ice to create your favorite Iced Coffee drinks. With the smart energy saving mode automatically switches off our Coffee maker after 9 only minutes
- Complimentary gift: Each Espresso machine includes a Espresso Original capsule welcome kit with a range of capsules with unique aroma profile. Input power (W): 1200
If your girlfriend is a coffee drinker, upgrading their coffee machine is a sure-fire way to get into their good books. And, as a bonus, you can enjoy the gift too!
A coffee machine is an extremely useful and practical gift, but without being too boring or unromantic. It’ll get used every day. Also, it will positively impact your girlfriend’s morning routine.
The main drawback of this gift is the price. While the product we’ve selected is fairly affordable, coffee machines can cost upwards of $500. This is probably a gift better suited to longer-term relationships.
The coffee machine we recommend is the Nespresso Inissia Original Espresso Machine. Nespresso coffee machines are well-known for being easy to use and to clean, plus this machine is small enough to fit into any kitchen.
This model also comes with a free selection of Nespresso pods, so your girlfriend can pick her favorite. At the time of writing this coffee machine costs between $100 and $110 from Amazon. It has a 4.2 out of 5 star rating based on over 600 customer reviews.
- ➤[Built In Cables] Portable charger with built in cables, attached IP and Type-C ports up to 5V 2A output, fast charging iPhones, Samsung, Google and other Android cellphones. Power bank with cables set you free a mess of cords and help you traveling light on the go
- ➤[Battery Capacity] 10000mah battery capacity supports iPhone 12/11/X/XS/X for 2.5 chargers, Samsung S10 for 2.1 chargers,iPad Mini for 1.5 chargers. Real capacity supply more power as your phone battery drain
- ➤[Small Design] Ultra compact usb battery pack with slim and lightweight shape, only weight 207g(0.45lb), same width with iPhone 8. Comfortable handheld size easy to carry, suitable for travel and whole day outside
- ➤[Charging Mode] Portable mobile charger contains 5 Ports for Charge and Recharge: Attached cord, Type C, USB A for cell phones and other electronic devices charging. Another 2 input ports(Micro input and USB C input) for battery backup charging
- ➤[Universal Compatible] External battery charger universal compatible with all phones, Li-polymer cell 37watt hour safety to be carry on airplane. Built in safety system also well protect your phone from overcharg, overheat, over voltage
While this isn’t the most romantic option regarding gifts for girlfriends, it’s a surprisingly thoughtful option. If you have a girlfriend who’s constantly on the go and on her phone, this gift will likely be an unexpected success.
A portable phone charger is an extremely useful item. They’re also good value for money, particularly when you factor in how much use they’ll get.
The main drawback is that it could be seen as a slightly “boring” gift. To mitigate this, we recommend pairing it with an additional small gift or particularly cute and thoughtful card.
We’ve chosen the Ainope 10000mAh Portable Charger as our pick. It’s extremely small and lightweight, powerful and quick charging, and suitable for all smartphones and other chargeable devices. It also comes with a 22-month warranty. At the time of writing the Ainope Charger retails for between $24 and $26 on Amazon. It has a rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars based on over 300 reviews.
- CONSTRUCTION & SIZE - Made of 100% high quality acrylic, very soft silky lightweight touch, cozy and warm thin throw, strong anti-sunlight and excellent light fastness, print just on one side, measures 50 x 60",weight 1.15lb
- QUALITY IN THE PROCESS - Use high-speed weaving equipment,high knitted density ,skilfully crafted design with geometric pattern and rolled fringed edges for a beautiful finish
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Environmental printing dyeing doesn't shed ,BOURINA guarantees to provide 1-Month return and replacement free service
- VERSATILE - Perfect for snuggling up on the couch, bed as decorative,movie theater, park,farmhouse or christmas gift, when camping for any occasion
- EASY CARE - Machine wash colors separately wash in cold water, gentle cycle, tumble dry low, low iron,NOTE：THERE MAYBE SOME COLOR DIFFERENCE DUE TO THE DIFFERENT RESOLUTION OF THE COMPUTER DISPLAY SCREEN
No girlfriend’s home is complete without a blanket – or in most cases, several. They’re always a great option when it comes to gifts for girlfriends, as they straddle the categories of both home décor and comfortable bedding.
A blanket or throw is something most people will use and enjoy. Attractive options can be found at reasonable prices, too. You can tailor your blanket choice to yours and your girlfriend’s taste, making it a more personal gift than you may think. Plus, it can be used for snuggling for future Netflix marathons. So everybody wins!
The main drawback to this type of item is that home-ware items tend to be a reflection of personal taste. Unless you know your girlfriend’s preferences really well, it’s best to go for something fairly neutral in color and design to make sure it won’t clash.
A good choice for a blanket or throw for your girlfriend is this one from Bourina. It’s a perfect size and has a beautiful knitted design that would suit any home. It also comes in a huge array of colors, from brighter coral to neutral gray, so you get a nice amount of choice. It retails for between $18 and $22 at the time of writing. The Bourina throw blanket has an excellent 4.4 out of 5 star rating based on over 250 reviews.
- MADE WITH SOY WAX - This candle is made with eco-friendly soy wax. It is vegan, paraben free and cruelty free!
- LONG LASTING BURN - Our candles have one of the longest burn times in the market!
- QUALITY SCENTS- We are extremely selective!
- HANDCRAFTED HERE IN AMERICA- We take pride in having our candles poured in the USA and helping our economy by generating employment for our people!
- PERFECT GIFT- Makes a perfect gift for friends, family members, or for yourself!
It’s a stereotype that all girls love scented candles – but that stereotype exists for a reason. Scented candles are great for adding a cozy vibe to your girlfriends home.
A scented candle is a safe bet regarding gifts for girlfriends. It’s something that they’ll use often, but maybe would be less likely to purchase for themselves.
One potential drawback when it comes to scented candles is scent preference. You may already have an idea what sort of home fragrances your girlfriend likes. But if not, go for a “safe” fragrance such as vanilla or cotton.
Our top pick for scented candles are the options from Lulu’s. They are high-quality candles with a strong and long-lasting scent. The jar packaging is also a nice touch. Lulu’s Aromatherapy candles come in an array of scents, but if you’re unsure, Fresh Linen is a good bet. At the time of writing a 6-ounce candle costs between $13 and $15 on Amazon. The candles have an impressive 4.5 out of 5 star rating based on over 120 reviews.
- EASY CARE! Water when top inch of soil feels dry, water once a week, allow water to drain. Never allow the soil to become saturated. Fiddle leaf figs are not meant for human or animal consumption
- LOVES INDOOR LIGHT: Fiddle-Leaf Fig grows in bright filtered light. Place near sun-facing window.
- ENJOY LIVING HOME DÉCOR: Adds life and design to your home, porch, or office. Height at shipping ranges from 20 to 24-inches tall – measured from bottom of pot to top of plant. Keep this plant for yourself or give as a gift!
- SHIPS IN GROWER POT: Ships planted, fully-grown, in an 8.75-inch black growers pot. Change the look by inserting the grower pot into a decorator basket or planter. These lush plants are grown by the horticultural experts at Costa Farms.
- Nasa studies show having plants in your home improves your mood, sparks your creativity and reduces stress.
Flowers have long been to most basic option for gifts for girlfriends. But you can easily upgrade this classic gift with a houseplant, which looks just a pretty and lasts much longer.
Houseplants are difficult to dislike. They make every home look more put-together and give a fresh vibe to an apartment or house. They also provide oxygen for a living space.
That they can be tricky to care for is a major drawback to houseplants. If your girlfriend is a gardening beginner, go for a plant that’s easy to maintain. Houseplants can also be difficult to wrap and transport.
Buying a houseplant from Amazon makes the whole process much easier. We highly recommend the Costa Farms Fiddle Leaf. It’s a beautiful, leafy, green plant and comes in an attractive pot. It’s also extremely easy to care for and is well suited to smaller or darker spaces. At the time of writing, this houseplant costs between $28 and $32 on Amazon. The Costa Farms Fiddle Leaf has a 3.8 out of 5 star rating based on over 800 user reviews.
- Dermal Korea collagen essence full face facial mask sheet 24 combo pack
- 24 different types of facial mask will help your skin more healthy, clear and elastic (as pictured)
- Contains vitamin E and collagen which keeps your tired skin lively and healthy
- Good quality felt soaked with various minerals and ingredients is used for effective absorption
- The date shown on the package is NOT the expiration date. It's the manufactured date.
If your girlfriend is into skincare, there’s a chance you may have caught her wearing a sheet mask already. These are essentially face-shaped sheets soaked in skin-loving serums to give the complexion a boost.
Sheet masks are always fun to do. You and your girlfriend could do them together for some extremely cute selfies. They offer a moment of relaxation and pampering and are something your girlfriend may not think to purchase herself. Sheet masks are also fairly affordable in terms of buying skincare or makeup gifts for girlfriends.
If you know your girlfriend has exceptionally sensitive skin, you might consider skipping this gift idea, just in case she can’t use them. They’re also not a very extravagant gift, so they may be best paired with another item from our list.
We love the Dermal sheet masks, and Amazon offers a huge value 24-mask bundle. This comes with 24 different types of sheet mask, so your girlfriend’s every skincare need can be catered for. At the time of writing this value pack costs between $13 and $15 on Amazon. The set has an impressive 4.5 out of 5 star rating based on over 700 reviews.
- Let The Meme Battle Begin: This is your chance to meme Cersei, Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister, and all your favorite Game of Thrones characters.
- Don't Forget the Original: Requires the What Do You Meme? Core game to play.
- Designed for 17+: This expansion pack contains mature content and is designed for ages 17+. The main game requires 3+ players.
- How to Play: Compete with your friends and family to create the funniest memes. Do this by using one of your dealt caption cards to caption the photo card in each round.
- What's Inside: 75 Game of Thrones Photo Cards to be added to core game.
Purchasing a game as a gift for your girlfriend is a fun idea. It also shows you want to spend quality time with her and make some memories.
Games are always useful to own, particularly for the holiday season, family events or dinner parties.
On the minus side, games can be quite pricey for what they are. It’s also important to make sure you choose an appropriate game of good quality. Otherwise, you could waste money.
The "What Do You Meme?" party game comes highly recommended. It’s extremely fun, easy to get the hang of and great for those who spend their days on the internet. At the time of writing, this game retails for between $28 and $32 on Amazon and has a 4.5 out of 5 star rating based on a whopping 4000+ reviews.
- Hardcover Book
- Chrissy Teigen (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 240 Pages - 02/23/2016 (Publication Date) - Clarkson Potter (Publisher)
While not everyone is a reader, everyone has to eat. Buying a cookbook for your girlfriend will help inspire them in the kitchen, and could be a fun source of future cooking dates together. You may also get to eat some delicious food in the bargain.
Cookbooks are fun ways to explore new recipes and learn new cooking skills. They can also look attractive and homely in the kitchen.
If you know your girlfriend hates cooking, though, this may not be the best choice. Make sure the gift doesn’t come off as a veiled criticism of her current cooking habits.
A great choice in terms of cookbooks is Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings. It’s packed full of delicious recipes alongside funny anecdotes, and everyone loves Chrissy Teigen, after all. Cravings currently costs between $17 and $19 on Amazon. At the time of writing it has 4.8 out of 5 stars based on over 1,500 reviews.
Which Gift Should You Buy?
We’re happy to recommend any of the options on this list when it comes to gifts for girlfriends. Because the items are more budget-friendly, you could double up on items to create the perfect selection for your girlfriend.
Do you agree with our list? What’s the best gift you’ve ever bought your girlfriend? Let us know in the comments.
Last update on 2021-10-26 at 10:21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API