Shopping for Christmas gifts can get overwhelming. Every year I spend hours if not days searching for the perfect present for everyone on my list. This is why I put together some ideas for inexpensive Christmas gifts that I can refer to every year.
Since everyone has a different budget (inexpensive is a relative term, after all), the gift ideas below are at three price points: $10, $25, and $50. This list will help you find the perfect gift this year at a price you can afford.
How Do You Shop for Christmas on a Budget?
Shopping on a budget doesn’t have to be difficult. When it comes to presents, the most critical part is the thought you put behind it -- not the price point. Everyone has interests, so if you get something that plays to someone’s passions, they will love it.
Also, shopping for inexpensive Christmas gifts means planning. Allow enough time to come up with ideas, compare prices, and make a purchase. Shopping at the last minute will all but guarantee that you’ll spend more money than you planned.
Make a list and check it twice
Brainstorming ideas for inexpensive Christmas gifts is the first step when shopping on a budget. Make a gift list with names and jot down some ideas next to each name.
An easy way to come up with ideas is to write three interests that each person has, then write out ideas related to those interests. For example, if the person you're shopping for likes to travel, gift ideas could be fancy luggage tags, packing cubes, and a travel voltage adapter/converter.
A great way to get someone a quality gift for less is to shop sales. Start the gift shopping process early so you’ll have enough time to find a good deal. When the holidays get closer, stores slash prices to lure customers. Black Friday usually kicks off the holiday buying season.
If you’re planning to brave the stores on Black Friday, it could be an excellent time to find inexpensive Christmas gifts for those on your list. Even if you don’t plan on leaving your house, many stores offer special pricing on select items on their website. That’s why it’s essential to have a list of ideas handy, so you can compare it to what’s on sale.
Use Coupons and Special offers
Using coupons and special offers is another excellent way to save money on your holiday shopping. If you’re able to stack a coupon with a sale, you may be able to pay just a fraction of the list price. Many stores offer a coupon in addition to current sales to bring down your shopping total. For example, you may see coupons for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more that could help you save money and buy inexpensive Christmas gifts.
Opt for Gift Cards
If you don’t know what someone wants for Christmas, a gift card could be a good option. Even though gift cards can get a bad rep, many people would prefer a gift card to an actual gift. That’s because gift cards let the recipient decide how to spend the money and get what they want.
Giving a gift card doesn’t have to be impersonal. For example, if you want to give someone a gift card to the movies, you can package it up with popcorn and movie theater candy for a cute presentation. For a coffee lover, you can give them a gift card to a coffee shop inside a cute coffee mug. Don’t be afraid to get creative.
Set a Spending Limit
When it comes to shopping for inexpensive Christmas gifts, setting a spending limit is very important. If you don’t set a budget, you can easily spend more money than you planned. Set an individual spending limit for each person on your list as well as a total spending limit for all Christmas gifts. This will help you keep your gift giving within your budget.
What to Consider When Shopping for Inexpensive Christmas Gifts?
Shopping for inexpensive Christmas gifts requires getting creative. You don't have to buy every gift from a store. There are plenty of options that don’t mean spending a lot of money. Below are some of your options.
Some of the best inexpensive Christmas gifts are those that you make. For example, I love receiving baked goods or a handmade scarf for a gift because the person who gave it to me took the time to do it. If you’re a baker, making muffins, cookies, or a pie are great options for gifts on a budget.
If you’re good at knitting or sewing, there is almost no limit to the gifts you can make yourself. Some of my favorite hand-made gifts (that are not food) include hand-made socks, hats, scarves, and mittens. Another hand-made gift I’ve received (and love) is a plain pillowcase embroidered with my kid’s name, birthday, birth weight, and birth height along with some cute baby animals. It’s a gift that we use and cherish every day.
For those who’re not very skilled at anything, in particular, the internet is full of cute DIY gift ideas that don’t require knitting or baking skills. For example, you can put together a cute jar of a homemade hot cocoa mix with a decorative label and ribbon. Browse Pinterest for cute DIY inexpensive Christmas gifts, and you’ll be sure to find something that fits your skill level.
Gifts of Time
Gifts of time can be more meaningful than anything you can buy. You can get creative with how you do these types of gifts by making or printing out coupons to gift to the recipient. This is a cute and easy way to give inexpensive Christmas gifts that mean a lot to the recipient but don’t cost you a lot of money.
It's the Thought that Counts (No, really!)
Just because you’re giving inexpensive Christmas gifts, it doesn’t mean that they can’t be something the recipient wants. Putting a lot of thought behind your gifts counts for much more than spending a lot of money.
Think about the person's interests. What do they like? Do they have any hobbies? What are their passions? This will help you brainstorm thoughtful gifts that fit their passions and interests.
Some of my favorite gifts I’ve received are ones that the gift giver tailored to me personally. For example, I wanted a specific knit hat I saw online but was way too expensive. My grandma knit me an exact copy of the hat I wanted down to the color and gave it to me for Christmas. I still wear that hat every winter and think of her fondly every time.
Ideas for Inexpensive Christmas Gifts at Different Price Points
Staying within budget is essential when shopping for inexpensive Christmas gifts. That’s why you’ll find some ideas for gifts at three different price points. These ideas can be a starting point when the holiday shopping season arrives.
Inexpensive Christmas Gifts Under $10
Believe it or not, there are a lot of options for inexpensive Christmas gifts under $10. All it takes is a little creativity, and you can give a meaningful and useful gift that won’t break the bank. Check out the ideas below to get your wheels turning.
1.) Scented Candle
- Approximate burn time of 50 hours
- The soft colored frosted jar candles allow the light of the flame to shine through when burning
- Made from a natural soy wax blend and feature self-trimming wicks
- Our fragrances that are skillfully enhanced with all natural essential oils
- Designed and poured in the USA, made with ingredients from around the world
If the person you are shopping for enjoys scented candles, this could be a great gift option. A scented candle can make the whole home smell nice and inviting. Just be careful because some people have a sensitivity to smells so try to ask around if you’re not sure before making the purchase.
- Celebrate the family tradition of the classic TV show "A Charlie Brown Christmas." This ornament is a sweet addition to your tree, and a heartwarming reminder to cherish the simple things.
- Hallmark Christmas Ornaments celebrate characters from contemporary and classic movies, TV shows, toys and entertainment.
- Made of polyresin, this Hallmark Ornament measures 1.5 x 3 x 2 inches and comes in a 3.5 x 4.7 x 2.5 gift box. The ornament is ready to hang on your Christmas tree with a ribbon hanger.
- Perfect gift for fans and collectors of Charlie Brown and the "Peanuts" comic strip and television specials.
- Each piece includes one Peanuts Charlie Brown Christmas Tree Christmas Ornament in a gift-ready box.
We all had favorite Christmas tree ornaments as a kid, those that we fought with our siblings to put on the tree. Building an ornament collection as an adult is a great idea to make the holiday season a little more special. You can either kick-start the tradition with a special gift or add another ornament that matches what they already collect. Either way, a tree ornament is one of those inexpensive Christmas gifts that will add to the enjoyment of the holidays for years to come.
3.) Picture Frames
- THE RPJC PHOTO FRAME ADVANTAGE:Constructed of heavy weight metal and silver-plated; includes high quality black velvet backing,High quality and durable.Ready to hang the frame on the wall or display on desktop.
- Size:Fits 4x6 inch Photos ,Actual Frame size (finished size) is 4.33"x6.3"x0.6" and the frame is 0.4 inches wide
- STURDY DESIGN:Traditionally designed frame with amazing durability. Comes with easy opening tabs at the back for easy access. The frame is provided with wall hooks (portrait and landscape). polished glass front gives a clear view of your picture and preserves the life of your photo. Extremely carefully packaged to ensure it arrives safely!
- This frame showcases beautiful metal and traditional craftsmanship that blends perfectly with any space An accent in any room, this frame pairs well with family photos, eclectic pr ints and is great for gift ing at housewarm ing parties, baby showers and at family events.Order with confidence, click and add to cart now.
If you’re looking for a personal gift that doesn’t break the bank, it’s hard to beat a framed photo. Chose a photo that has meaning to the recipient, put it in a beautiful frame, and gift away. You can give your spouse a picture of you together doing something special. If you have kids, you can frame a photo of your kids and give it to your partner. The possibilities are endless so have fun!
4.) DIY Photo Insert
- Stainless Steel for Hot or Cold (Double Wall).
- 16oz Fits Any Standard Car Truck SUV Cup Holder.
- Easy Do-It-Youself Inserts, Place Your Child's Artwork, Paper, Image Inside to Proudly Display
- Perfect For Personalized Images, Company Logos, Family Pictures, Great for Teams, Churches Special Events and Fundraisers
- Use as Mobile Picture Frame or Promotional item or Welcome Bag Item, Goody Bag Item
This is a twist on the picture frame idea. If the person you are buying for is a coffee or tea lover, instead of a framed photo you can gift them a photo mug. Websites such as Shutterfly.com allow you to upload a favorite digital photo (or a few photos) and use it to create a photo mug. Keep an eye out for coupons and discounts around the holidays to make for an inexpensive and personal gift.
- Write a note of appreciation, encouragement, or any other special message with one of four cute designs in this notecard set, featuring polka dots, flowers, a celebratory banner, and bold lettering.
- Boxed set includes 40 cards (10 of each design) and 40 envelopes in coordinating colors. Blank inside, each card has plenty of space to express thanks or write a thoughtful note!
- Be prepared for any occasion that calls for a card. This variety of thank you and blank designs has everything you need to acknowledge the special moments of every day.
- Notecards measure 5. 5 by 4 inches. Box features Velcro closure and is reusable for card organization.
- Hallmark stationery is made with paper from well-managed forests.
Does your significant other love to write thank you cards or notes? Some people to send thank you notes for just about everything, so this can be a great go-to gift. For extra credit, you can even throw in a few stamps. Just don’t be surprised if you’re the first person to receive a thank you card from the set you gifted.
Inexpensive Christmas Gifts Under $25
If you have a few more dollars to spend on inexpensive Christmas gifts, here are some ideas under $25.
- These Ramblers come standard with our YETI MagSlider Lid, the only drink lid that uses the power of magnets to keep your water, beer, or favorite drink on lock
- Our Ramblers are BPA-free, dishwasher safe, and have a No Sweat Design to make sure your hands stay dry
- Dracut is a durable coat of color that won't fade, peel, or crack through extended field use and also provide additional grip to the Rambler's exterior
- We over-engineered these double-wall insulated tumblers with an 18/8 stainless steel body, which means your drink still keeps its temperature no matter how much of a beating this cup takes
- The YETI 20 oz. Rambler Tumbler stands 6 7/8 in high and has a lip diameter of 3 1/2 in. All YETI Tumblers are sized to fit in standard sized cup holders
For a coffee or tea drinker, a travel mug could be a useful gift. I received my insulated travel mug as a gift and use it almost every day. Add a specialty bag of coffee or tin of tea for a more personalized gift.
7.) Coffee Dripper
- Everything you need for a professional, pour-over cup of coffee at home or work; just add coffee and water!
- Kit includes: Hario V60-02 Coffee Dripper, Hario V60-02 Coffee Server, Hario coffee scoop and Hario V60-02 Disposable Paper Filters (100-pack)
- Heatproof borosilicate glass server with BPA-Free handle, lid and measuring spoon
- V60 Size 02 makes 1-4 cups
- Made in Japan
For coffee lovers, a pour over coffee starter kit could be a great option. It’s the latest trend for coffee connoisseurs and doesn’t require much to get started. You can find a starter kit for less than $25.
- One 750 mL bottle of Meiomi Pinot Noir Red Wine
- This pinot noir wine features lifted aromas of delicious fruit jam, mocha, vanilla and oak
- Enjoy this California red wine's expressive strawberry flavor and toasted mocha
- This full-bodied Meiomi Pinot Noir has complexity and depth with a lengthy finish on the palate
- The grapes of this Meiomi wine are aged for six months in French oak barrels for complex taste
If your spouse loves wine, this is a great gift option. Your best bet is to go to a store such as Total Wine and ask one of the associates to help you pick out a bottle of wine within your price range. Make sure you find out if the recipient likes red or white wine to make picking out a good bottle a little easier.
- huge cook book with 2,000 simple recipes for great food
- 10th anniversary edition of How to Cook Everything
- Mark Bittman
- Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- Edition no. 2 (10/03/2008)
Cookbooks make great inexpensive Christmas gifts. If you have a novice cook, you can’t go wrong with the How to Cook Everything cookbook from Mark Bittman. When you’re shopping for someone, who has the basics down but may want to cook delicious meals on a budget, check out Budget Bytes by Beth Moncel -- it's one of my favorites. Not sure what to get? Classics such as the Joy of Cooking or any of the Taste of Home cookbooks are always a sure bet.
If you’re shopping for a Christmas gift for a bookworm, you can never go wrong with a special book or a gift card to a bookstore. If there’s a book that you loved, you can gift it with a personal note about why you think the recipient would enjoy it. Alternatively, you can gift a special edition of a book that you already know they love.
Inexpensive Christmas Gifts Under $50
If you have a budget of up to $50, you can find some great and meaningful gifts to add to the pile under the Christmas tree.
11.) Whiskey Stones
- ENJOY YOUR SCOTCH COOL AND UNDILUTED: Bring your favorite alcoholic beverages to the perfect sipping temperature and retain their unique taste, undiluted by water with a set of 8 tasteless, extremely effective, granite whiskey stones rocks that will make sure your drinks maintain 100% of their original flavors and stay chilled. The chilling stones freeze within only a few hours, making them a must-have item for last minute party planning.
- GET A COMPLETE SET: Wow your guests at your next gathering by taking out this elegant, wooden box and revealing a complete set of 8 granite drink stones, beautifully packed in a black, velvet bag and 2 high quality, crystal Whiskey glasses. Try plopping a few of the cooling rocks into a glass of aromatic, white wine and you can be sure, they'll be the talk of the party.
- SAVE MONEY AND CHILL YOUR DRINKS IN NO TIME: Why spend tons of money on buying dirty ice of questionable quality or make your ice cubes in a hurry every time? With this beautiful set of reusable whiskey cooling rocks you can always have ice cold drinking cubes in your freezer, so you can enjoy a chilled drink in no time.
- MAKE A CLASSY GIFT: Are you looking for a special, luxurious gift to impress your loved ones? Durable, easy to wash and with an unbeatable, classy look, these versatile whiskey ice cold drinking rocks are an ideal gift for the wine and spirit aficionados in your life. If they like brands like jack daniels, they will love it
- GET IT WITH CONFIDENCE: Backed by a 30 day money back guarantee of complete satisfaction, you have nothing to lose. Order your complete whiskey cooling rocks gift set today and enjoy pure flavor with every sip!
If you're shopping for someone that likes to drink, they’d love to receive a good bottle of liquor for Christmas. You can either go with a brand that you know they usually drink or do some research and buy something they’ve never tried. As a bonus, you can add some nice, quality glasses so they can enjoy their beverage in style.
- Material: Winter set includes a fashionable, matching knit hat, scarf, & gloves that is perfect for guarding against the harsh cold seasons.The winter beanie, scarf and mitten set made of acrylic and cotton blend, what's incredibly soft, comfortable and non-irritating fabrics to give you the best feel
- Size: One size fits most. This scarf set can be stretched and suitable for most women
- Design: Multi-function 3 in 1 set,you can use it separate or together as you will.With our slouchy beanie knit hat scarf and gloves set, you will be warm, cozy and stylish
- Occasion: The winter set are great for outdoor activities and daily wear.Such as: skiing,snowboarding, shopping,running, camping, traveling, fishing, hiking, motorcycling and so on
- Best Gift: 3-in-1 women beanie hat scarf and gloves set are best gift for your parents, friends, and yourself that is both practical & stylish for this upcoming cold season
If you live in a cold climate, you can’t go wrong with a nice winter set of hat, gloves, and a scarf. Give the gift of matching, stylish cold weather accessories that will keep the recipient nice and cozy.
- 6 quart Cook & Carry Slow Cooker serves 7+ people
- Digital countdown control lets you program cook times anywhere from 30 minutes up to 20 hours; shifts to Warm setting automatically once cook time completes
- Easy to use locking lid featuring lid gasket provides extra seal for less mess on the go
- All Crock Pot Slow Cooker removable stone inserts (without lid) may be used safely in the microwave and the oven set up to 400 degree F; If you own another slow cooker brand, please refer to your owner's manual for specific crockery cooking medium tolerances
- Works on 240 Watts at 120V A.C; and 60Hz
Having a delicious meal waiting for you when you get home from work can be a reality with a digital slow cooker. Load up all the ingredients in the morning before work, set the slow cooker, and come home to a fully cooked meal ready for dinner. This is an excellent gift for a busy professional with no time to cook. Throw in a few of your favorite slow cooker recipes for a more personal gift.
- THE MEGA EDITION: The fast dealing property Trading Game.
- BIGGER GAME BOARD: 50% larger than most boards. New Depots and Skyscrapers. New $1000 bills.
- FASTER: Special speed Die and bus tickets quickly zip you to where the action is! Buildings appear sooner...and so do big rents!
- CONTENTS: Quad-fold gameboard,32 houses,12 hotels, 8 skyscrapers,4 depots,10 tokens, 37 title deeds,16 chance and community chest cards,16 bus tickets,2 dice,1 speed die, money, tray and instructions.
- CREATE: A "Mega Exciting" Experience!
You can go old-school and gift the gift of classic board games such as Sorry, Trouble or Monopoly. For those who love strategy, games like Settlers of Catan or Risk are great options. For word nerds, you can’t go wrong with Scrabble or Bananagrams. Consider the recipient’s interest and find a game that fits their personality.
15.) Travel Gear Luggage
- DURABLE. Made with ultra lightweight silnylon material so you can organize your packing without adding extra weight. The ripstop design ensures these cubes will last through even the toughest packing jobs.
- EXTRA COMPRESSION. The unique compression zipper allows you to pack even more in your cube. The cubes expand to more than triple their size so you can pack and reach your clothes with ease. Then simply close the zipper to compact your cubes for effortless organized packing.
- DIMENSIONS. Compressed: 10 x 7 x 1 in (half cube), 14 x 10 x 1 in (cube), Expanded Dimensions: 10 x 7 x 4 in (half cube), 14 x 10 x 4 in (cube) Weight: 1.5 oz (half cube), 2 oz (cube).
- CAPACITY. Compressed: 3 Liter (half cube), 7.5 Liter (cube), Expanded Capacity: 6 Liter (half cube), 13.5 Liter (cube)
- WATER-RESISTANT. These cubes are made out of nylon so they're water-resistant. They're great for any type of vacation so you can enjoy your trip without having to worry about your clothes staying dry. They're also great for keeping your clothes clean if your toiletries spill while you're traveling. We've got you covered so you can have a stress free trip.
If your partner loves to travel, a set of packing cubes can be a great gift. Packing cubes help you organize everything in your luggage to make it easy to find when you get to your destination. Some packing cubes such as this compression set from Eagle Creek can help you fit more in your luggage by compressing your clothes.
Buying inexpensive Christmas gifts doesn’t have to be difficult. With some planning and thought, you can buy a meaningful gift without breaking the bank. Just make sure to start early, make a list, and stay within your budget. Have fun!