Buying gifts for a significant other can always be tricky. But there’s something about a wedding anniversary which puts on even more pressure. One of the best ways to show your wife how much you love her is finding creative wedding anniversary gifts for her. Whether you want to buy something based on the anniversary year, or just go for a regular gift, planning ahead is key to your success.
But how do you know you're getting your lady something she'll treasure and use? First, you have to know her. And then you have to know what's out there.
Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her Are Tricky
For some of us, it’s hard enough to remember an anniversary – let alone plan ahead to get a fantastic gift. But to make your wife feel as special as she deserves, planning and being thoughtful are absolutely essential.
What types of gifts are appropriate?
It can be difficult to walk the line between practical items and romantic displays of affection. For the most part, we think the ideal gift (anniversary or not) is somewhere in the middle. It needs to be something useful or that your wife will enjoy, but shouldn’t be something totally dull or without any thoughtfulness. The best gifts are things your wife would never have bought herself but ends up using every day. These types of gifts also act as a daily reminder of your relationship.
Focused on the year of anniversary or more general?
Wedding anniversary gifts for her have an extra element of difficulty. This is because anniversaries typically have a focus on the year of your anniversary, and that could work as the inspiration for your gift. Some of these years are fairly easy to work around, such as pottery, while others can be a little trickier (tin, anyone?). As you get further into your marriage, there are even some years that don’t have specified themes.
Are these types of traditions important to your wife? Or does she think they're silly? If you don't know, you should find out. The good thing about shopping for wedding anniversary gifts for her is that you at least know your wife is in the same position. By talking and planning ahead, you can save a headache for both of you.
Where to shop for perfect gifts?
There are tons of fantastic options when shopping for wedding anniversary gifts for her. If you know exactly what you’re looking for, going to a specialty store could be the best way to find unique and high-quality products. If you want to browse a range of products, departments stores are filled with choice, and often have super helpful sales associates, too. Independent boutiques are also a fantastic place to pick up more unique gifts options.
You can also shop online, as we did to compile this list. We did this for a few reasons. First, buying gifts online is fairly universally accessible. It’s also a very easy way to both browse for and purchase gifts. Amazon and other online retailers also have a vast variety of products, whether you're buying wedding anniversary gifts for her, birthday supplies for your kids' parties, or anything else. Amazon also offers user reviews and ratings, so you can make sure you’re getting a high-quality product.
It's important to discuss budget with your wife before you start shopping for wedding anniversary gifts for her. You don't want her to think you're a cheapskate, but you also don't want to break the bank. And remember, she'll be buying you a present, too. Don’t turn it into a competition. Set your budgets and try to stick to them. Once you’re married, you already know a lot about each other’s finances, so maxing out a credit card to buy something extravagant won't come off as romantic so much as foolish.
We’ve selected a range of products at affordable prices, although if you want to spend a little extra, you could double up on the gifts or pair them with a dinner date, or some flowers or champagne. The gifts on our list all cost between $25 and $250.
How We Reviewed
For this piece, we wanted to combine year-based wedding anniversary gifts for her with some great gift ideas which would be suitable for any year. We decided to focus on the first five wedding anniversaries, with an additional two gift options for those wanting something outside of the traditional year-based tradition.
Our Selection of the Best Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Her
We’ll start with the first five options, relating to the traditional first five years of anniversary wedding gifts in order. We will then explore two extra gift options, which are better suited for those who are outside of this five-year timeline, who have decided to eschew year-based gifts, or who are looking for additional wedding anniversary gifts for her.
First anniversary: Paper
For your first anniversary, the traditional gift is paper. A great play on this is to purchase a beautiful notebook or diary for your wife. Everyone uses notebooks to write down their schedule, plans, or thoughts and feelings. A high-quality one will add a hint of luxury to the everyday.
A notebook or diary perfectly fits the bill regarding something your wife may not purchase for herself, but will certainly use. By picking a higher quality, more aesthetically pleasing notebook, you get to spoil your wife without seeming overly extravagant.
A notebook can seem a little bit safe regarding gifts. If you want to make it more personal, you could purchase one more tailored to your wife’s specific hobbies or interests. Alternatively, you could write her a little note on the first page telling her how much you love her.
A great notebook option is the Indiary Luxury Wild Leather Bound Journal. It has a beautiful rustic look and is handcrafted for a personal touch. At the time of writing it has a 4.4 out of 5-star rating on Amazon. It costs between $25 and $27.
- First Class Leather Journal made of the finest Buffalo Leather. You will instantly fall in love with the smooth surface feel and the fine leather smell.
- The journal is purely Handmade by Masters of their Craft.
- Dimensions in Inch: 5x4X1"
- The Handmade Paper is easy to write on with Pencil, Ballpoint Pen, Fountain Pen, etc.
- Approximately 200 Pages (100 Sheets of Paper)
Second anniversary: Cotton
The traditional second anniversary gift is cotton. We think a brilliant option for this year is a fresh set of bedsheets. Having a more luxurious set of sheets can really boost your sleeping experience. They’re something both useful and thoughtful.
Luxury bedsheets are a fantastic way to incorporate a little indulgence into your everyday. They’re a great gift as many people would see them as too extravagant to purchase themselves. Everyone enjoys the feeling of a comfortable bed, so we can’t imagine anyone disliking this gift.
By "luxury," of course, we mean thread count. The higher the thread count, the softer and more luxurious the sheet. And, consequently, the higher the price. But hey, this is your wife, right? And you'll be sleeping under those sheets as well.
Our product selection for Egyptian cotton bed sheets is the Pinzon 400-Thread Count Pleated Sheet Sets. They are made of high-quality cotton fibers and have a luxe-feeling sateen weave. The set also comes in a variety of colors to suit every bedroom. At the time of writing the Pinzon bed sheets have a 4.3 out of 5-star rating on Amazon. The sets cost between $50 and $70, depending on your bed size and shade selection.
- Queen-size set includes flat sheet, fitted sheet, and 2 standard-size pillowcases
- Sewn with single-ply yarns for a breathable, lightweight fabric
- Elegant 6-inch pleated hem adorns flat sheet and pillowcases
- Machine wash in cold and dry on low
- Fitted sheet measures 60 x 80 inches and fits 17-inch-deep mattresses; flat sheet measures 90 x 102 inches, and pillowcases measure 20 x 30 inches
Third anniversary: Leather
For your third anniversary, the traditional gift inspiration is leather. A fantastic choice for this year is a pair of leather boots. While buying shoes for your wife can be tricky depending on her taste, leather winter boots are a slightly more practical option and therefore far easier regarding wedding anniversary gifts for her.
Leather boots are a staple in everyone’s wardrobe, particularly if you live in a climate which has a harsher winter. They’re an item which your wife will use, but wouldn’t necessarily indulge herself with.
One drawback of buying leather boots as a gift is that you can end up making a mistake. Make sure you know your wife’s shoe size and style before making a purchase and try to choose an option with a good returns policy in case you need to make an exchange.
A fantastic brand choice when it comes to leather boots is Doc Marten. These boots are timelessly stylish and exceptionally high quality. Our top pick regarding wedding anniversary gifts for her is the Pascal Leather Combat Boots. They have a slightly softer leather, making them more comfortable than other Doc Martens. They also come in a vast variety of shades. At the time of writing the Pascal boots have a 4.5 out of 5-star rating on Amazon. The boots cost between $80 and $240 depending on the size and color selection.
- THE ORIGINAL: The original boot with a slightly more relaxed fit at the ankle; With 8 eyes, grooved sides and yellow stitching, the 1460 has style for the ages
- AIR-CUSHIONED: Dr. Martens famous “bouncing” AirWair soles are comfortable, oil and fat resistant and provide good abrasion and slip resistance
- MADE LIKE NO OTHER: Boots built to pound the pavement; The leather upper and sole are heat-sealed together for exceptional durability
- AUTHENTIC AS YOU: Made with classic leather that only gets better with time; Use Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam to protect the leather and keep your boots clean, soft and supple
- KICK THE NORM: From utilitarian work boot to cultural icon, Dr. Martens became a symbol of self-expression; Stand up, stand out and wear them well
Fourth anniversary: Fruit or flowers
The four-year wedding anniversary gifts for her are fruit or flowers. These two items are both fairly low-cost and temporary. A good way to buy a themed four-year anniversary gift which will last, though, is an indoor fruit plant or tree.
While fruit or flowers make fine gifts, they are temporary and can come off as a little cheap. A fruit tree is a lasting item, which not only works as stunning and unique home décor but will eventually provide delicious fruit, too.
The main drawback of a tree or plant purchase is the space considerations. Before making a purchase, make your sure you’re considering exactly where the item will go in your home. Try to pick a plant or tree that’s well suited to your living situation. An indoor plant is better for an apartment, for example.
A great fruit tree option is the Brighter Blooms Nules Clementine Dwarf Fruit Tree. Buying from Amazon makes shopping for plants easy, as you don’t need to consider how to get them home. This plant is well suited for both indoor and outdoor living and can become acclimatized to most areas. At the time of writing it has a 4.5 out of 5-star rating on Amazon. It costs between $65 and $95 depending on the size you order.
- SHIPPING SIZE- plants come 1-2 feet tall. These are young plants. You will not get a mature tree or plant.
- DELIVERY- your plants may arrive a little more dry than you expected since they've traveled across the country. Please unpack them and give them a healthy drink. They will perk right back up. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us immediately.
- WARRANTY- If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your tree or with our service, please notify us immediately or within 30 days of receipt. We will correct the situation to your satisfaction.
- CANNOT ship to CA, TX, FL, LA, AZ due to federal agricultural restrictions... if you live here and order this tree, your order will be cancelled.
Fifth anniversary: Wood
For five-year wedding anniversary gifts for her, the traditional gift option is wood. This is a little tricky to work with, as wood isn’t the most romantic of materials. However, a wooden chopping board for the kitchen is a wonderful gift idea. A high-quality one made from luxurious wood can be a fashionable upgrade to your kitchen. At the same time, it's not going to break the bank.
A high-quality chopping board makes cooking seem less of a chore. It’s also a great item to use at dinner parties for serving bread, cheese or fruit. It’s something that will get plenty of use and will last forever.
However, if you and your wife never really cook, a wooden chopping board could seem quite an odd choice of gift. If this is the case, it may be better to go for a different small item of wooden furniture that better suits your lifestyle.
Our top choice for a wooden chopping board is the Large Walnut Cutting Board by Virginia Boys Kitchens. It’s a luxurious looking item and comes in a variety of sizes so that you can find the best fit for your kitchen. At the time of writing, it has a 4.2 out of 5-star rating on Amazon. Depending on the size of the chopping board you buy, this product costs between $49 and $130.
- RICH CHOCOLATE HUE: When seasoned, the board carries an attractive dark brown shade, making it an attractive piece of home decor to go with its function. It makes the perfect gift for the holidays, weddings, bridal showers, anniversary, couple's housewarming parties, Mother's Day, or a best friend birthday. Or simply use it as your own presentation piece for tastefully presenting charcuterie, cheese platters, breads, pizzas, sushi and more to guests
- KNIFE-FRIENDLY SURFACE: The porous, soft straight grains of walnut wood make it an cutting surface that won’t dull your knives. And with the expertly carved juice groove around one edge to catch runaway liquids, you can take care of all messy food prep carving meats, slicing fruits, chopping vegetables, dicing herbs, mincing and more while keeping a clean kitchen
- ARRIVES IN ALL NATURAL UNFINISHED AND CUSTOMIZABLE STATE - Each board arrives in its raw unseasoned form so you can use any preferred seasoning oil or finishing wax you like to get the board's rich dark color. This way, you regain control of what goes into your board and what ultimately comes into contact with your food
- LONG LASTING DURABILITY: Each board is made in the the USA with responsibly sourced, non endangered Black Walnut Wood and is kiln dried and carefully smoothed before finishing. You get a thick, sturdy and reversible block that won’t warp, crack or splinter and will last you years if it’s properly maintained
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: This board is backed by a 100% guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied with your product, you can receive your money back
Any anniversary: Perfume
Perfume is a classic regarding wedding anniversary gifts for her, and with good reason. Many people use it every day, and if your wife likes, she might use it every day. At the same time, a luxury perfume isn't something a lot of women would buy for themselves.
Perfume is somewhat of a safe bet – everyone likes nice scents, right? It also tends to come at a good price-point for a gift. If your wife uses it every day, it’ll serve as a happy reminder of your relationship.
The main con to buying fragrance for someone else is personal taste. What smells good to you may remind her of food...or worse. Does she have a favorite perfume brand? Consider topping up her supply. If you're feeling daring, take an olfactory peek into her perfume collection. Does she seem to favor floral notes? Or spicy ones? Does she prefer a light, fresh scent, or something heavier and more mysterious? If you can nail down a description, a department store cosmetics consultant can help you pick out something spectacular.
A bottle of perfume that we can’t imagine anyone disliking is Clinique’s Happy. It is a light, refreshing fragrance that is super uplifting – and the name can serve as a reminder of your wedding day. At the time of writing Happy has a 4.2 out of 5-star rating on Amazon. It costs between $36 and $40.
- Packaging for this product may vary from that shown in the image above
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
- Shaving system:Shaving foil for close shave
Any anniversary: Jewelry
Jewelry is another classic option for wedding anniversary gifts for her. It’s something beautiful that can be worn every day and acts as a nice reminder of your wedding day.
Jewelry is something most people wear every day. You can find jewelry across a variety of price points, and most people find it romantic.
The problem with purchasing jewelry is, again, personal taste. Try to take notice of what style, sizes and colors your wife tends to incorporate into her wardrobe to make a better gift choice.
A ring which is both unusual and pretty is the ALPHM Rose Flower Ring. It comes in a variety of colors and sizes and would look beautiful alongside a wedding band. At the time of writing this ring has a 4.4 out of 5-star rating on Amazon. It costs between $18 and $22.
- Design Inspiration: Rose stands for true love and beauty. The rose on the ring will never fade away just like the rose in my heart will never wither.
- Please pay attention to the Ring size:7. Can be adjusted slightly（6-8）.
- Material: Oxidized S925 sterling silver, Won't change color or get dark.Tarnish Resistant, Nickel Free..
- Wedding Anniversary Gift, Christmas Gift, Halloween Gift,Thanksgiving Day Gift, Valentine's Day Gift, Mother's Day Gift, Birthday Gift, Black Friday Gift graduation gift.
- Free exquisite gift wrap: gift bag + silver polishing cloth.
The Best Wedding Anniversary Gifts For Her
The best wedding anniversary gift for her will be, of course, one that you picked out with love and care. As long as you keep her in mind while shopping, you should be able to find something she’ll treasure and use.
Do you agree with our suggestions? What’s the best gift you’ve ever given for a wedding anniversary? Let us know in the comments below!
Last update on 2021-05-13 at 07:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API